Tis the season for Christmas Traditions! 

Anastasia Giannakou, Student-Reporter

It’s Christmas time again and lots of people are known to celebrate with many different holiday traditions. Did you know that more than 2 billion people celebrate Christmas worldwide. Despite the hardships we faced through 2020 I believe that everyone is looking forward to Christmas. This Christmas might have less in person socializing than usual, but we still have the magic of sharing the joy through some unique holiday traditions. There is no better way to have fun than to complete some of your favorite traditions, spread joy and most importantly have fun!

A parent from our WMS community named Sasha Colic originates from Serbia and wanted us to know more about her favorite traditions. Ms.Colic said “My favorite part of bozic (Serbian word for Christmas) is when my family and I say the prayer for health & wealth for our household.” She also added that for Christmas dinner she makes cestnica (Serbian word for bread) with a coin inside for her and her relatives. In Serbia it is believed that if you find the coin you will have good luck for the rest of the year. I really wish we could all get the coin so COVID-19 would go away but we just have to push through.

An Arlington resident named John Karasek originates from Poland and gladly shared one of his favorite family traditions. He said “My favorite tradition is making pierogies (Polish word for dumplings) for Christmas Eve dinner because that is something I used to do with my mom as a kid.” Mr.Karasek added that he also loves to play Christmas carols known as  kolędy and sing along. His family gathered over zoom with all their traditional foods and virtually opened presents. Traditions are very powerful because they bring people together. 

An eighth grader at WMS named Emerson Cullinan has said “My family and I order Chinese food for Christmas Eve dinner. We also love to play board games all night. On Christmas morning we wake up and eat cinnamon buns & open our presents.” I think opening presents is one of the most exciting parts of Christmas but the best part is spending time with the people you love. With the amount of fun we all have on Christmas it makes me wish it happened twice a year.

Dr.Seuss once said “you will never know the value of a moment, until it becomes a memory” and I believe that we should all live by this. You can’t take anything or anyone for granted because you never know what will happen in life. Now go share some of your Christmas traditions and maybe even start some new ones. Have a holly jolly Christmas wolves!!!